Fall 2016 Update (10/21/16)
Thanks for your interest in Casco Bay High School! The principal and guidance counselors are happy to meet or talk by phone with prospective students and families. The section below may answer some questions about the process for admission to Casco Bay.
For students interested in transferring to Casco Bay for the fall of 2017:
If you are a current 9th-12th grader and are interested in a
future spot at Casco Bay, please complete and return this transfer
request form: CBHS Transfer Form 2017-2018
As of 10/21/16, the length of the
waitlist for Portland residents for a spot in each grade is listed
Grade 9 (Class of 2020) - 28
Grade 10 (Class of 2019) - 38
Grade 11 (Class of 2018) - 4
Grade 12 (Class of 2017) - 0
feel free to call CBHS at any time to get a more precise sense of your
student's standing. A student's number on the waitlist can only improve,
and a student may stay on the waitlist as long as they choose, even
spanning multiple academic years.
Class of 2021 Admissions (Current 8th Graders)
If you would like to join us as a 9th grader next fall, here is the process...
• On December 8th (6:30-8:30pm), CBHS holds its Open House for 8th grade parents and families; here's the flyer: 8th Grade Parents' Night Flyer 12-8-16
If you can't make our Open House, but would like to meet or get a tour, just give us a call.
• During the week of January 30th 2017, all PPS 8th graders experience a 2 hour immersion program at Casco Bay, Deering and Portland high schools.
• If you are an 8th grader who is interested in CBHS but who does not attend a PPS middle school, then you are encouraged to set up a "shadow day" to visit. Shadow days begin in November. You can set one up by completing and returning this form: Student Shadow Form 2016-17
Following the school shadow days in late January, PPS 8th graders still undecided about their school choice may set up a visit day by completing and returning the following form: Student Shadow Form 2016-17
• By no later than February 15 (2017), any student interested in a spot at Casco Bay should turn in a CBHS Lottery Form. Here it is: 2017-2018 CBHS Lottery Form
• At CBHS, we are limited to taking 97 incoming 9th graders. If more than 97 students are interested, then we will have a lottery within 2 weeks of the Lottery Form deadline. Details about our current lottery policy are below. This policy is subject to review each year. Lottery Policy 2015-16
Following any CBHS lottery, 8th grade families will have to submit a Commitment Form indicating their final high school preference by March 10th, 2017. It does not matter how far in advance of the deadline that Commitment Forms are received - as long as they are received by the deadline. If there are students on any waitlist and spots open up after March 10th, then a student on the waitlist will be offered the opening as soon as possible. Download a commitment form here: 2017-2018 PPS HS Commitment Form for Class of 2021
Over the last several years, among the cohort of students who turned in their commitment forms on time, between 80% and 90% of interested students were offered a spot in our freshmen class before September.